Faith in 15
Mar 29, 2021
First Baptist Church Carrollton
- The old Holiday Inn commercials capture the ethos of being smart without any study or preparation.
- Those commercials capture the ethos of our day: “Google is; therefore, I know.” We all think we are experts because we can look up anything on the internet.
- Psalm 119 has 176 verses. It says 176 different ways that God’s way to live leads to life.
- Yet, the ways of God seem crazy to us. If the Beatitudes are the key to blessing, why don’t we seek to live according to them? If it is more blessed to give than receive, why don’t we spend as much time planning our giving as we do shopping?
- This passage appears in the lectionary for Lent because it represents a distinct alternative way of life to what the world suggests.
- Disciples must decide whether God knows better or the world knows better how to live.
Proverbs 26:12 says: Do you see a person wise in their own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for them.”